Digital Experience Construction
In the increasingly competitive higher education sector it has become more important for universities to focus on customer experience, where the universities’ customers are external stakeholders, staff and students. An important part of customer experience in this technological era we’re living in is Digital Experience.
The Digital Experience Construction (DEC) project is concerned with improving the digital experience of Curtin’s customers. To this end the DEC project has been working to improve student experience through the rollout of elsie, a new best-of-breed mobile app for Curtin students so that they have convenient anywhere, anytime access to study information from their phones.
In 2016 the DEC Project implemented enhancements and improvements to the elsie application with a focus on Blackboard integration features, library and push notifications, news, events and feedback functionality. Students will be provided with a rich and interactive digital experience that supports anywhere, anytime learning and engagement.
In 2015 Curtin was introduced to elsie, an application that was designed and developed to enhance the experience of Curtin students. elsie provides an easy way for students to manage their workload and study activities from their mobile device.
The app includes a smart planner automatically populated with students’ study timetables and academic calendar information, as well as access to unit information, iLectures, academic contacts and more.
Initially available to only undergraduates at Bentley, the user base has now been expanded to include all domestic students, including online and Open Universities Australia (OUA). The project has delivered the following features:
- Unit progression
- Blackboard Announcements
- News & Events
- Blackboard Assessment Summary
- Exam Timetable
- Student timetable
- Academic timetable
- Unit Outlines information
- Academic contacts
- Theme customisation
- Course progression including academic status, semester and course weighted averages
- Access to email
- Access to iLectures
- Feedback mechanism
- Supports all domestic, course-work based students.
More than 17,000 students have downloaded the app since its release in August 2015.
- Provide students with rich and interactive digital experience that supports anywhere, anytime learning and engagement.
- Support Curtin’s reputation as a leader in innovation by providing a “best of breed” digital experience to its customers.
- New communications channel between Curtin and students via push notifications.
- Allowing students to access the information they require anytime, anywhere.
- Increase student engagement, satisfaction and motivation.